David Manktelow: 3rd January 2010
Man's Chief End....
or Download Sermon (5.9MB MP3, 25min)
Click the play button above to stream the sermon
If man's chief end is to glorify God, or worship God, it must surely be a supreme aim at the beginning of a New Year.
Psalm 100, entitled 'For giving thanks' was to be sung as pilgrims went up to Jerusalem. It must be our daily habit to seek opportunity to worship God.
What do we mean by worship?
- 'Worth-ship' giving God His due, His 'Worth'
- True worship is not dependent on 'where' or 'how' we worship
When we consider who he is, what he does, and how we should approach Him, through Christ, we truly worship Him.
How do we express worship
The psalmist uses ideas of service, singing and submission to express worship
- Service - must be given willingly, joyfully and to God alone;
Qustion - what will be my avenues of service for the Lord?
- Singing - there must be an element of praise in all true worship
- Submission - we praise God as we submit our lives to Him
- as creatures to the Creator
- as children to the Father
- as sheep to the Shepherd
In Old Testament times the people brought animal sacrifices: since Christ, we offer ourselves, our lives, to his service.
When we truly worship we have a greater understanding of God, a greater love for God and a greater desire for worship.
Let us worship God in 2010 with all that we have and are, and in doing so bring Glory to His Name.
Romans 12, vv1-2